Daehee (Danny) Kim
Personal homepage : http://dannykim.me
Lab Phone: +1-816-235-5339
Dept. Computer Science & Electrical Engineering
School of Computing and Engineering
University of Missouri-Kansas City
453 Flarsheim Hall
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, Missouri 64110
I am a interdisciplinary Ph.D. Candidate in University of Missouri - Kansas City. My main discipline is TCN (Telecommunication and Computer Network) and co-discipline is Computer Science. I have passed comprehensive exam in Fall 2013. I gained a bachelor degree in South Korea in 1995. I had worked for IT(Information Technology) related companies including IBM and Kolon Data Communication for 10 years as a programmer and a software engineer. Then, I came to the USA to learn computer science more. I received a master degree of computer science at SUNY(States University of New York) at Binghamton in 2008. I have taught CS219 (Programming Fundmentals) and CS322(Web Programming II - with ASP.NET) as an adjunct faculty at Park University for fall 2011 and spring 2012 respectively. I am interested in data storage network, and doing research about wireless and wired network. My main research interest is data de-duplication with big dataset. My advisor is Dr. Sejun Song and Dr. Baek-Young Choi
My research interests lie in the broad areas of storage and computer networks including:
- Networked Storage Systems
- Data De-duplication (in both storage and network)
- Big Data Processing with MapReduce
- Network Application and Protocols
- Wireless/Sensor Networks
- Ph.D. Student, Aug. 2009 - Current, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, MO (GPA: 3.97/4.0)
- Dissertation Title : “Towards Data Optimization in Storages and Networks”
- Advisors : Dr. Sejun Song and Dr. Baek-Young Choi
- Ph.D. Student, Aug. 2008 - July. 2009, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Wichita State University, Wichita, KS (GPA: 4.0/4.0)
- M.S., May. 2008, Computer Science, State University of New York, Binghamton, NY (GPA: 3.74/4.0)
- B.S., Feb. 1995, Computer Science, Pusan National University, South Korea
Research Project Experience
Projects on de-duplication-based redundant data elimination techniques
- IEEE CloudNet 2013 Student travel grant
- Member of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- by election of the Chapter at University of Missouri-Kansas City (from 4. 2013)
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award (University of Missouri-Kansas City)
- Telecommunication & Computer Networking Discipline, 2012
- Software Defined In-Network De-duplication, Jul. 2013 ~ Jul. 2014
- Addressed that data transferred on network have excessive redundancies when usually duplicate data traverse same routers (or switches) to multiple destinations. Developed a paradigm to remove redundancies in networks (ultimately storages) by using de-duplication techniques in client, server, and network side.
- Mobile De-duplication, Jul. 2013 ~ current
- Address that image and video files are immensely generated in mobile devices and that those files have huge redundancies due to duplicate copy preferences of users or application characteristics (taking multiple similar pictures of an object). Developing a light-weight image de-deuplication in mobile devices considering security of separated chunks.
- Structure Aware File and Email De-duplication for Cloud-based Storage Systems (SAFE), Jul. 2012 - Jun.2013
- Discovered that a slight change in Microsoft Office documents and PDF creates totally different binary files compared to the original documents. Explored the format of Office documents and PDF, and proposed how to de-duplicate the documents in files and emails for Cloud-based Storage systems like Dropbox. Designing and developing scalable de-duplication systems result in significant decrease in storage space and index overhead. Implemented experiments with C language on Linux based on Cloud Storage System.
- Email De-duplication File System on Email Servers (HEDS), Sep. 2010 - May. 2012
- Proposed hybrid scheme that adaptively performs de-duplication at the granularity of either file-level or chunk-level. Designed and implemented the hybrid email de-duplication system and evaluated it with real email datasets. Evaluated that it achieves high data reduction rate while keeping the CPU and memory overhead small. Implemented in C language on Linux, Sendmail, along with FUSE.
- Read/Restore Oriented Storage over Ethernet (ROSE), Dec. 2008 - Jul. 2009
- Developed and implemented lightweight de-duplication techniques to store and retrieve data into networked file system. Exploited summary vector to reduce overhead of chunk index in memory and RPC to transfer data. Written in C language on Linux.
Projects on Multicast Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks
- Energy-Efficient Adaptive Geo-Source Multicast Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks (EAGER), May. 2012 - Sep. 2012
- Designed and Implemented energy-efficient and scalable multicast routing protocol. Optimized the location-based and source-based multicast in terms of energy, packet overhead, and computational overhead. Developed an encoding mechanism to optimize packet header. Written in C++ language and bash shell script. Evaluated with NS2 and MATLAB.
- Multicast Routing with Branch Information Nodes for Wireless Sensor Networks (MR.BIN), Jan. 2009 - May. 2010
- Investigated the various overhead issues of existing WSN multicast protocols. Implemented a hybrid approach of geographic unicast routing and state-based multicast routing. Evaluated optimal tradeoff among the overhead of the intermediate nodes states, packet header size, computation time, and energy consumption and balance. Implemented in C++ language. Simulated with NS2 and analyzed with scripting languages including bash shell script, TCL, and AWK.
- Adaptive Geo-Source Multicast Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks (AGSMR) , Sep. 2008 - May. 2009
- Identified the scalability issue of previous location based stateless multicast protocols in WSNs. Designed and implemented tree construction algorithm with LCRS (Left Child Right Sibling), algorithm to find common source routing path, and algorithm to select branch geographic information. Implemented in C++ on Linux. Simulated with NS2.
- TCP Performance Analysis in Data Center, Jul. 2008 - May. 2009
- Analyzed TCP Incast in data center focusing on temporal locality and spatial locality. Simulated with NS2
- Link Quality Source Routing, Aug. 2007 - May. 2008
- Designed and implemented a robust reliable wireless routing protocol. Exploring the variation of signal strength due to noise, interference, and block, implemented packet recovery algorithm in case of packet loss. This project was based on GPSR (Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing). Simulated with NS and Tossim. Experimented in TinyOS with Micaz motes.
- Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Kansas City , Sep. 2009 - Current
- Designed and developed redundant data elimination techniques based on de-duplication in network and storage systems.
- Implemented energy efficient multicast routing protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science , Wichita State University, Aug. 2008 - Jul. 2009
- Designed and implemented lightweight de-duplication techniques to store and retrieve data into networked file system.
- Identified the scalability issue of previous location based stateless protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks, and developed a source-based multicast routing.
- Software Group Service, IBM, South Korea , Mar. 2000 - Apr. 2005
- Designed and implemented Web-based email systems using Java on Louts server.
- Designed and developed Web-based portal systems using Java on IBM WebSphere. Also, managed projects as a project manager.
- Kolon Data Communications, South Korea, Jul. 1998 - Dec. 1999
- Developed a Web-based document reporting system using Java.
System Architect and Server Administrator
- Software Group Service, IBM, South Korea, 3. 2000 - 4. 2005
- Designed system architecture for groupware systems and enterprise portal systems.
- Administered Domino servers and WebpSphere portal servers including AIX and DB2.
- Kolon Data Communications, South Korea, 7. 1998 - 12. 1999
- Administered Windows and Unix servers at Kolon corporate data center.
- Dept. of Information and Computer Science, Park University (Parkville, MO), Sep. 2011 - May. 2012
- Taught Programming Fundamentals with Java (CS219), Fall 2011
- Taught Web Programming with ASP.Net (CS322), Spring 2012
- IBM Education Center, IBM, South Korea, Jan. 2002 - May. 2002
- Taught IBM middleware servers and programming on LotusScript, Lotus Architecture, Lotus Enterprise Integrator, Lotus Workflow to diverse trainees including IBM customers and business partners.
- Obtained high satisfaction over 90% grade about teaching from trainees
- Corporate Education Center, Kolon, South Korea, May. 1995 - Apr. 1996
- Taught Web to Kolon employees, which included various topics related to the Internet such as the concept of Internet and Domain, the way to access and utilize Web, and making homepage with HTML
- Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Introduction to Operating System (CS0431), Spring 2014
- Practical Network Security (INFO-TEC426), Spring 2014
- Network Architecture I (CS5520), Fall 2012
- Networked Storage System (CS5590SS), Fall 2009 and 2010
Designed and guided students for several projects on Planet-Lab and Hadoop.
- Data Structure and Algorithm (CS351): Fall 2010 - Spring 2012
Designed and guided Map-Reduce projects on Amazon Cloud and IBM Cloud for students. Students measured performance of Map-Reduce program.
- Problem Solving and Programming II (CS201), Summer 2011
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science , Wichita State University
- Introduction to Data Storage Systems (ECE777Q), Spring 2009
Designed and guided students for several projects on IO-scheduling, RAID, and Linux Kernel. Tested and deployed on Linux.
- Embedded Systems Programming (ECE738), Fall 2008
- Web-based Portal System for KCGF (a Government-Owned Corporation), South Korea Aug. 2003 - Dec. 2004
- Developed Web-based portal system using WebSphere servers. Designed system architecture. Programmed portlets, UI interface, and backend data integration in HTML and Java language.
- Web-based Portal System for LG, South Korea Jun. 2002 - Jul. 2002
- Developed applications such as portlets using Java on Websphere Portal framework.
- Web-based Email System for Hyosung, South Korea Nov. 2000 - May. 2001
- Web-based Reporting System for FSS (a Government department), South Korea Jul. 1998 - Dec. 1999
- Data de-duplication skills: fingerprinting, chunking, indexing
- Software Defined Network: Openflow protocol, OpenVSwitch, Floodlight
- Programming Languages: C, C++, Java
- Operating Systems: Linux
- Network protocols: TCP/IP
- Simulation Languages: NS2 Network Simulator
- Big Data analysis using Hadoop
- Web Programming: ASP.Net, JSP, PHP, HTML
- Database: Oracle, IBM DB2
- Operating Systems: IBM AIX, Windows, TinyOS
- Middleware: IBM WebSphere
- Cloud Service: Amazon EC2, IBM Cloud
- Programming Languages: Perl, Tcl, Awk
- Database: MySQL, MS Access DB
- Linux Kernel Programming
- IBM Certified System Administrator - WebSphere Portal, 2005
- IBM Certified Instructor - Lotus Notes and Domino, 2002
- IBM Certified Principal Application Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino, 2002
- IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino, 2002
- IBM Certified Application Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino, 2001
- SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer) certified by SUN Corporation, 1999
- Computer Information Processing Engineer certified by Korea, 1995
- Daehee Kim, Sejun Song, Baek-Young Choi, Taesang Choi, "SoftDance:Software-defined De-duplication as a Network and Storage Service", submitted to a 2015 conference
- Daehee Kim, Sejun Song, Baek-Young Choi, “SAFE: Structure-Aware File and Email Deduplication for Cloud-based Storage Systems” IEEE 2nd International Conference on Cloud Networking(CloudNet), Nov, San Francisco, USA, 2013
- Daehee Kim, Baek-Young Choi, "HEDS: Hybrid De-duplication Approach for Email Servers" IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN), July, Phuket, Thailand, 2012.
- Sejun Song, Baek-Young Choi, Daehee Kim, "MR.BIN: Multicast Routing with Branch Information Nodes for Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE 19th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2010.
- Sejun Song, Daehee Kim, Baek-Young Choi, "AGSMR: Adaptive Geo-Source Multicast Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks," International conference on Wireless Algorithms, Systems and Applications (WASA), Boston, MA, 2009.
- Daehee Kim, Sejun Song, Baek-Young Choi, "EAGER: Energy-Efficient Adaptive Geo-Source Multicast Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks," Journal of Sensors, Vol. 2013, Article ID 142078, doi:10.1155/2013/142078, 2013.
- Sejun Song, Baek-Young Choi, and Daehee Kim, "Component-Oriented Data Encryption and Deduplication for Mobile Cloud Computing”, Springer Book Chapter (in progress) with Airforce Research Lab (AFRL)
Last Modified: Wednesday, 06 August, 2014 in Kansas, USA.